Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

been thinkin about this dinner since yesterday....

About a month ago, we went to a local establishment, Porter Cafe, for a quick bite.  The special was pasta with bolognese sauce.  Now, if I were in the North End, I would have jumped all over that sauce, but West Roxbury???  well, I figured I would take the chance.  It had to have been one of the best sauces I have ever had.  I spoke to the chef, of course!, and he actually told me the recipe!  Since that night, I have made it twice. The first time it came out amazing.  So, are you ready for this? Cook ground beef and lamb.  Then cook onion, carrots, celery, and thyme.   Add crushed tomatoes, s&p, red wine, chicken broth if too thick.  At the end, add heavy cream and parm cheese.


The flavor of this sauce is amazing.....truly memorable!  I spooned some over plain pasta for my daughter, the rest went over spinach ravioli...


I swear it is the thyme and lamb that makes this sauce!  The second time I made it, I used ground pork instead of lamb, and it just didn't taste as good!  So, there you go....You need to taste it as you go along....

So, early Saturday morning, we ventured into downtown Boston to the produce market.  It is a bit early in the season for this, but it was amazing what they had!

  

I got some ginger root, fresh rosemary, parsley, egg plant, baby zucchini, cherry tomatoes, oranges, and boxes of strawberries.  Everything was $1 each!  Alot of stuff was overly ripe, but if you knew what to look for, it was a bargain!  Will make eggplant parm tomorrow...Hope I am feeling up to it!

ox





No comments:

Post a Comment