Search This Blog

Monday, November 5, 2012

What to make for dinner when you have no clue what to make!


Tonight was definitely a strange night.  I got home a little late from work, and in my mind, I sort of knew what I wanted to make for dinner.  I decided to check the Internet for a little inspiration.  Ground turkey would be the main ingredient, and I originally thought I would make my crepes and stuff them with a combination of ground turkey and ricotta cheese, mixed with some chopped broccoli.

Well, by the time I got started, there just wasn't enough time to cook the crepes, so I will leave them for another night.  I grabbed the ground turkey and cooked it up.


I added half an onion, chopped, and about 3 chopped garlic cloves.  When it was done, I put that aside and cooked a bunch of chopped broccoli, and added it to the turkey.


Meanwhile, I cooked half a bag of this whole grain pasta. That was added to the turkey mixture. 




When everything was cooked, I added a cup of ricotta cheese, about a 1/4 cup of pesto, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, and about 1/2 cup of half and half.  Now for the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper  After giving it a taste, I decided it needed more salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.

You see, ground turkey is not very flavorful, so you need to add extra seasoning.  This dinner is all about tasting and adding.  I think each person who makes this will have it come out a little different! You could add spinach, or basil, or mushrooms, or olives....the sky's the limit!  For me?  I added a can of artichoke hearts that I chopped up, and some onion powder.  I definitely needed to amp up the flavors.


This was one of those "work in progress" dinners, one that needed constant tasting and a little of this and a little of that.  The basics were fine, just not enough.  


I decided to share tonight's dinner with you, basically to show you that not all dinners are cut and dry, but that with perserverence and imagination, the final product did come out delicious.... it was a labor of love!  I promise that tomorrow's blog will be much easier and straight forward.  I wish everyone well getting through Election Day tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment