Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chicken soup with a twist....





Not sure if you have been watching the weather tonight, but we are in the middle of a huge Northeaster... Crazy snow, sticking on everything, making for really slippery driving.   So, cold+blustery+snow= soup!  And tonight, I decided to get a little creative.
   
I wanted to make a chicken soup that was a little creamy, had a flavor of ginger and little warmth to it.  I poured through countless recipes, but just didn't find anything that fit the bill, so I decided to take a stab at it on my own.....scary!

First up, cut up a couple of carrots, celery stalks, and half a vidalia onion.  Into the soup pot they go, with a little butter.



Once the veggies are aromatic, I add about 3 tbs of chopped ginger, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, a sprinkle of crushed red pepper, and 1 1/2 boxes of chicken broth.  Let simmer for about 15 minutes.

 

I have removed the casings and browned 3 sweet Italian sausages.  I also had a package of Perdue Short Cuts (chicken breast meat) that I also add in, as well as some cut up fresh spinach, flat leaf parsley, and a can of evaporated milk.  I had some leftover brown basmati rice from the other night, so I threw that in.  You could add pasta, pastina, or anything else for that matter!





The only thing left is freshly ground sea salt, pepper, and taste.  I'm telling you, this is a really cool soup.  There's a lot of flavors going on....fresh ginger, garlic, the sausage and chicken, the carrots.... it's all really good.   Then the little bit of heat from the ginger and crushed red pepper.  

I am quite proud of this creation. I hope you like it as well...





No comments:

Post a Comment