Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2012

Quite possibly the best onion soup you will ever eat...




My mom made the best onion soup, and I think it was partially because it was simple.  No fancy ingredients....just a great technique that makes it delicious.  Read on.....

Get a bag of pearl onions.  According to my mom, you needed these small onions, and you needed to slice them nice and thin.  I can remember crying as I sliced these onions with my great Aunt Deedee.  She used to love helping my mom in the kitchen, and of course I was recruited to help.  Mind you, this is the most labor-intensive part of the recipe!



Dump the onions and some butter in your soup pot and saute until the onions are transparent.  Sprinkle in some freshly ground pepper, sea salt, and add about an 1/8th of a tsp of nutmeg.  



My mom used to add beef consomme at this point, but unfortunately I could not find it any more, so I just bought Campbell's beef broth.  If you use Campbell's, remember you need to add a can of water for every can of broth...  You can actually use any type of beef broth, but you will need to supplement it with about 2 tsp of "Better than Bouillon" beef paste.  This is much better than beef bouillon cubes....a lot less sodium.  I also added a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce at the end....


As they say, the rest is history.   Just let the soup simmer for about an hour.... the longer the better.  Give it a taste to make sure you can taste the amazing flavors. 

For the finishing touch, I took some regular Cesar Salad croutons and put them on a pan.  I sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese and popped them under a broiler until the cheese was melted.  When I served the soup, I added some of the croutons on top.  

I hope you love this soup as much as I do.... It is so special to have a recipe from someone as special as my mom.....

No comments:

Post a Comment