Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup with some interesting flavors...




Whenever I have leftover roasted butternut squash, I can't wait to make soup out of it.  There is just something about the flavor and texture that is just so delicious.




Roasting the squash is so easy.  I cut it up, toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper, a little nutmeg, and curry powder, and roast in a 400 degree oven until it is soft and a little brown around the edges.  It's a good idea to stir it up every once in a while.



I place the cooked squash in a pot, along with some chicken broth, probably about 2 cups.  I use my Cuisinart Smart Stick (hand blender) to puree the squash.  I then add a can of coconut milk, and more curry.  You really have to let the soup cook for a while in order to fully taste the curry.  I also add a fair amount of milk (I use 1%, but you can use whatever you have) as well as some half and half for a little richness.  From this point on, you will be getting the soup to the consistency that you like.  You can use more chicken broth to thin it out as well.  I wanted a lot of soup, so I kept adding milk until the pot was half full!


I really like a pronounced curry flavor, so I probably added a total of about 2 teaspoons of curry, between sprinkling some on the squash when I broil it, and the rest directly into the soup.  Your best bet is to keep tasting it along the way.  Everyone absolutely loved it, so I guess I did something right!


No comments:

Post a Comment