Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

This is probably one of the best Chili recipes you should keep


I thought it would be a good idea to make a pot of chili the night before Thanksgiving.  Everyone was coming and going, and if there was something hot and yummy for the taking, folks could just help themselves as they passed by.  I'm sure you all have your favorite recipes for chili, but this one is so easy and always seems to come out delicious.  I can't tell you how many times I have made it and I will get rave reviews!  So here is some background info....this recipe comes from a Wheaton College cookbook that a friend of my mom's gave to me.   You have to write this one down!

2 lbs of lean ground beef
2 cups of onion, chopped
2 cups of celery, chopped
2 large green peppers, chopped







Cook the ground beef first.  When it is done, 
put it in the crock pot and get the veggies cooked.  
When done, add to the hamburger. 







Now for the rest of the ingredients:

1 can of tomato puree
1 can of diced tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. salt
4 tbs. sugar
5-7 tbs. chili powder

I tend to go a little heavier on the chili powder, because I like to really taste that flavor.  Stir everything together, turn on the crock pot, and walk away!  Every so often walk by and give it a stir.  


It is amazing how it totally changes in appearance after hours of cooking!


The last ingredient I add is the kidney beans.  If you add them too early, they fall apart.   I like the medium red kind, but if you have a preference, by all means, add whatever kind of beans you like.  

That's it.  I usually have to add some salt and pepper when I taste it.  I also add a couple of shots of Frank's Hot Sauce, because I like a little heat in my chili.  But, it is totally up to you and how hot you like your chili.

I really hope you will try this recipe some time.  It really is a winner!


1 comment:

  1. Just one suggestion: add about a teaspoon or two of cumin!

    ReplyDelete