Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2012

Hummmmm, what can I do with boneless chicken breasts tonight???




I got home from work at 4:30 and sat down at the computer to try to get a little inspiration for dinner.  I tried to think about what I had made lately, so that I could try something different.  Unfortunately, nothing was "wowing" me, so I thought about chicken, and the chicken breasts I had in the freezer, and what I could possibly do with them...




I know how much my daughter loves stuffing, and I thought.....what if I made some individual chicken delights with their own center of stuffing?  There you go!  Kind of like mini turkey dinners.  There's my plan.... so I run to the freezer and grab a bunch of chicken breasts to thaw.  When they are all thawed, I make up about 2 cups of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing mix, according to the directions, and added some dried chopped onion, and a bunch of parsley
Then I decide some sweet Italian sausage would taste good, so I take two out of their casings, break up,  and cook.  Once I add that, I cook up a handful of Bella mushrooms....in they go, along with a few handfuls of arugula.  Making this kind of stuffing does not require that you measure anything.  Just keep adding and tasting until you're happy with it.


The last two things I add are some Craisins and I sprinkle some Parmesan cheese in.  Oh, and don't forget a little salt and pepper.  Now you're ready to stuff.






Once the chicken breasts are thawed, I put a piece of Saran wrap over it and pound it so that it is flat.  Add as much stuffing as you like (we always like a lot so I pretty much over stuff them!), roll them up and put them in a greased pan, seam-side down.  No string, no tricky stuff, just mold the meat around the stuffing and in they go.

When they are all done, I melt about 2 Tbs of butter and spoon over each rolled up marvel.  Then I take a sleeve of Ritz crackers, crunch them up and sprinkle over the chicken.  Believe it or not, it is now done and ready to go in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  The chicken is pretty thin and won't take long to cook.  You just want the stuffing to heat through.  It is all cooked, so don't worry about it reaching a certain temperature.


That's all there is to it.  They came out so moist and delicious.  It took me longer to figure out what to make, than it did to actually put it together.  Even though this is a quick and easy dinner,  my mother would say "this one is good enough for company!"








No comments:

Post a Comment