Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ready for a little Lamb Shank Redemption???



This is a dinner that I am sure I have made before for you and my family, but I decided to cook them differently this time.  I usually use a crock pot, but the shanks are so big, that they have a hard time fitting in.  And, it is really hard to stir and move them around, so this time I used a roasting pan which made them cook much more evenly.  I covered the pan with foil and cooked them in a 250 degree oven for most of the day!   I have to say they came unbelievable!

So, first things first... I washed the shanks, dried them, and coated them with sea salt, Montreal Steak seasoning, and onion and garlic powder.


Next, brown them on all sides...I only sprayed them with a little vegetable oil spray first.  Don't use oil in the pan, because they won't get that nice crust. 


Remove the lamb shanks from the pan.  In the same pan, pour in 2 cans of diced tomatoes, about 2 cups of chicken broth, half of a Vidalia onion sliced up, 1 red pepper cut up, 4 garlic cloves sliced, and salt and pepper.  Simmer everything together for about 10 minutes.  Then pour over the browned shanks in your roasting pan.




I covered the pan with foil and cooked them in a 250 degree oven for at least 3 or 4 hours....Basically, I put them in the oven and then forgot about them!  This was at about 8:00 this morning.  At 2:00, I took them out, turned them all over, re-covered them with foil and back into the oven for another hour or so. In the mean time.....

I got a request for pan-roasted potatoes.  I have a way of preparing them where they always come out really good.  I cut them up, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, fresh garlic, thyme, some dried onion, and paprika.  Stir them around and cook in a 400 or so degree oven for about 30 minutes.  I do mix them every once in a while so they won't stick to the pan.


So there you have it.  The lamb shanks were so tender, that the meat literally fell off the bone. The flavor was really good, and the potatoes were delicious, soaking up the sauce from the lamb.  All in all, a real winner!  My next post is a continuation of this dinner.  I also made stuffed artichokes, but I thought the post was too long to include here!  I hope you will check them out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment