Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

To brine or not to brine...that is the question




About two years ago, I heard everyone talking about "brining" their turkey. I knew nothing about this, and it seemed like it was a lot of work, so I didn't pay any attention.  Well.... I became really interested in this brining thing.  I looked up a bunch of different recipes for brine, and found one I really liked.

3/4 cup of kosher salt
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of boiling water
1 gallon cold water
pepper
I also pour in some cranberry juice, but this is purely optional

Stir the salt, sugar, and boiling water until everything is dissolved.  Then add the cold water, any spices you would like,  and the juice.  Put the turkey into a brining bag, and pour in the brine.  Keep the bird in the fridge over night.  On Thanksgiving morning, dump out the brine and rinse the bird off.  Dry and sprinkle with the following seasonings..

Pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and paprika.  I spray the bird with vegetable spray, and put it in the roasting pan breast side down.  Doing this allows gravity to do it's thing... the juice travels down to the breast meat.  About an hour before the turkey is done, turn it over.  Doing this is definitely a little messy, but it is well worth the effort.

I have to tell you, the turkey comes out so moist and tender.  It is definitely attributed to the methodology. I have since brined pork chops, and they too have come out flavorful, moist and delicious.  I have truly been turned into a brine queen.......





No comments:

Post a Comment