Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ham with Vegetable Couscous


This was one of those dinners where I knew what my main course was, but I had no clue what to make for a side dish, and due to the inclement weather, I wasn't able to get to the store.  Therefore, I had to depend on whatever I had in my fridge.... which for tonight consisted of half a bag of broccoli, half a bag of carrots, and some Bella mushrooms.

I cut up the carrots and sauteed them with a little left over mixture of olive oil and butter with some shallots.  I sprinkled them with some thyme, salt and pepper and let them cook.                  
While they are cooking, I get the broccoli ready.  Tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper, I cook it in a 400 degree oven.  Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too brown.  About half way through cooking, I add the carrots that had a head start on the stove.   

                 
I love couscous and thought it might be a good idea to make a batch and mix these veggies in.  


Last thing to do is cook the mushrooms with a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.  I just want to take the chill off them.   Combine the vegetables to the couscous.  Add about 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and a handful of pine nuts.  Done!




So a very easy dinner tonight.  The couscous went well with the ham, and tasted really delicious.  I hope you will experiment and maybe make it your own....




No comments:

Post a Comment