Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Easy Chicken Paella with Sugar Snap Peas



I really love cooking chicken thighs because they are quick and are always moist and tender.  The flavors in this dish sounded like they really went well together, and for the first time ever, I had an ingredient that I usually don't have..... saffron threads!  I purchased them through Colonel De's website, and I have to tell you, I think it is what made this dish taste delicious!  So, plan ahead on this one, and definitely find and purchase saffron threads!

First things first..... I decide to cook two pieces of Kielbasa, then slice it up.  Normally I grill these, but the weather forced me to cook them on the stove.  Once they are done, I put them aside.  Next, I cook up some red and green peppers.  You can probably use about 1/4 cup... set them aside.           At this point, you need to add the saffron threads to a 1/2 cup of either dry white wine or chicken broth.  They need to soak a bit before you can add them.

The next step is to prepare the chicken thighs (I used 8 thighs, but you can make as many as you need), and brown them.  I mix up 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/4 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground black pepper.  I rub this all over my chicken thighs.


 


In a hot pan, I brown the chicken, about 4-6 minutes on each side.  Once they are well browned, I take them out of the pan and hold them to the side.  Next in my pan go my chopped onions.  I cook them until they are tender, then add the 4 cloves of garlic that I have chopped.  

Pour in  the saffron mixture, 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, along with a cup of regular, long grain rice, and mix well.  Simmer 



Also add a can of diced tomatoes, your cooked Kielbasa, and the peppers you cooked and chopped.

 

Pour this rice mixture into an oven-safe pan, and place the chicken thighs on top.  Cover the pan with foil, and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Remove from the oven.  You need to take the chicken off of the rice mixture long enough so you can mix the rice and add the sugar snap peas.  Put the chicken back on and cover.   Let it sit for about 5 minutes.  The heat from the rice will heat the peas perfectly.   

Look at this....

Really delicious!













No comments:

Post a Comment