Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ever heard of "white chili?"


For some reason, I have been fascinated with the thought of white chili.  I read a few recipes and thought it was a great twist on chili, but never had the opportunity to actually give it a try.  I figured, why not try it on Superbowl Sunday?  

I started out by browning a package of ground turkey.  When it was done, I put it aside and cooked up one chopped Vidalia onion.  When that was tender, I added the cooked turkey and started to build my chili.


I add about 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, and 2 cans of chopped green chilies.


Now for the spices....1 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp. ground cumin.




The last thing to add at this point is 1 can of chicken broth.  I normally use the boxes of chicken broth, so I dumped in at least 1/2 the box.  Simmer for about 15 minutes.




Time to add the next "white" ingredient....white cannelloni beans.  I suppose you could add smaller Navy beans, or any white bean for that matter.  The whole idea is to stay away from anything red!



I thought I might need to thicken this up, but just prior to serving it, I added 1 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of half and half.  I let it heat through on low, and it actually thickened up perfectly.  After tasting it, I thought it needed a little more salt, pepper, and cayenne.  Once those went in, it was really delicious!

Add a little shredded cheese, and you are good to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment