Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013

A perfect stormy night for Sweet Potato Soup

 

For all of you who are on the East Coast, this is our typical bizarre weather, at its best!  I, along with my kids and probably half of my town, had the day off today.  My laundry is caught up, my house is clean, and I am not allowed out on the roads after 4.... so, I figure this is such a perfect opportunity to spend the day in my favorite room of the house, my kitchen.



  
I have had a bag of sweet potatoes sitting in my container for a while.  I wanted to do something other than roast them, so I decide to make Sweet Potato Soup.  From everything I have read, it is pretty straight forward.  I cut up the potatoes and coat them with olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

While they are cooking, I cut up a small Vidalia onion, along with two parsnips, and some carrots and cook them down.  Once the sweet potatoes are done, I add them to the pan of onions, etc., and pour in one box of chicken broth.  Add 2 tsp. of cumin and 2 tbs of curry, along with salt and pepper.




I let the vegetables and broth simmer on low for about 1/2 hour.  Then I use my hand blender and puree everything.  The soup needs a second box of chicken broth to thin it down.  The last spice I add is my Raz al Hanout (which basically is a combination of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, etc.)  You can use whatever you have on hand, but you want the flavors to be subtle.  Add a little, stir and taste.... whenever you aren't sure, pour a little soup in a bowl and experiment with the seasonings.



 This soup is sure to warm you up...


No comments:

Post a Comment