Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

A whole new meaning to Red Pepper Quiche







I've been wanting to trying this for quite some time.  I couldn't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, so last night I went for it, and it came out exactly how I hoped it would....delicious!








There were only two basic steps, pre-cooking the peppers and making the filling.  I found these huge, long red peppers, so I needed to slice them lengthwise.  I grabbed a baking dish and put a small amount of water in it.  After placing the peppers in face down, I cooked them in my oven, on convection.  They took about 15 minutes to get to where I wanted them to be.  If you use a regular oven, I would set the oven to about 400 degrees and just check them every so often.  They should just start to get soft.




Now for the filling.  I cut up half of a Vidalia onion, half of a red pepper, some fresh garlic and sauteed them in a little olive oil.

Once they are tender, turn off the heat and add some shredded ham, fresh spinach, and fresh basil.


The last thing to do is mix together 3 eggs, about a cup of milk or cream, whichever you prefer, and salt and pepper.  Place the peppers in the baking dish and put some of the vegetable mixture in each one.  Then add some shredded Swiss and Parmesan cheese, followed by spooning the egg mixture into the peppers.  That's it.  Cook in a 375-400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.  I checked them a couple of times to make sure I didn't over cook them.


I take them out of the oven and can't wait to cut one in half.  I was so happy to see that the filling had cooked perfectly!   The good thing about this recipe is that you can add anything you want...any kind of vegetable, meat, cheese, shrimp.... the sky's the limit.  And, you don't have to worry about making a pie crust.   Next time I might buy smaller peppers and cut just the tops off.  That way they can be individual cups of quiche.  They would take longer to cook, but the idea intrigues me!








 



No comments:

Post a Comment