Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chicken Comfort Dinner: great new way to roast a chicken...it's all about technique

Everybody knows how to roast a chicken, right?  You wash it, season it, put it in a roasting pan, and once it goes in your 325 degree oven, you forget about it for an hour and a half, right?  WRONG!

I have been researching new and interesting ways of roasting a chicken and this particular one caught my eye.    You do what is called "splaying" the chicken,  and you cook it in a cast iron fry pan that has been pre-heated to 500 degrees!  Sound interesting????  Read on!


 I have a 4 pound chicken that I wash and dry thoroughly.  I then slice the leg and thigh section of the bird away from the breast.  This is called "splaying" the chicken legs.  For my amazing friends that are into "technique," this is huge!

Sprinkle the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and onion powder. I have an "old" lemon that I cut up and stuff into the cavity of the bird.




Meanwhile, heat your oven to 500 degrees and place your 12" cast iron fry pan in your oven.  Once the pan is good and hot, take it out of the oven and place your chicken in it.  Push down on the thighs so that they are flat against the pan.


Drizzle the top of the chicken with olive oil and cook for about 30 minutes.  When done, take it out of the oven and tuck some capers and sliced fresh garlic around the chicken, along with some fresh spinach.  Pop it back into the oven for about 10 more minutes.   



 The last part of this dinner is roasted brussel sprouts.  I have made these many times, but wanted to make them using the techniques I used for the recent broccoli recipe.....roasted with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  When done, sprinkle with lemon zest and shredded parmesan cheese....



 So, there you have my wonderful chicken "comfort" dinner!  Every mouthful makes you feel so good to be home and in your warm house.....all the flavors go together so well...



 Rice pilaf, roasted brussell sprouts with grated Parmesan cheese, and the best chicken you will ever eat!  Enjoy...




No comments:

Post a Comment