Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

More Snow = More soup.... Sausage Soup to be exact!





These weekend snow storms are getting old around here!  We go outside and shovel for an hour and when done, nothing tastes better than a hot bowl of soup!    This recipe is really easy to make.  I start by making a cup of long grain white rice (brown rice is too crunchy for soup!)  


While the rice is cooking, I take the casing off of 3-4 sweet Italian sausage, break them up and brown them.  Just before they are done, I throw in 3-4 chopped garlic cloves and 2 chopped shallots.   When they are cooked, I turn off the heat and defrost my package of chopped spinach right on top!
Now that the rice is done, I add a can of diced tomatoes, along with the sausage and spinach.


It probably seems weird to make all of the ingredients for a soup before adding the broth, but it is easier  to taste and see what is missing.  In this case, I needed to add some garlic powder and some dried chopped onion because I didn't taste enough of it!  I also sprinkled in a little crushed red pepper for some heat.  Because I used low sodium ingredients, I did need to add just a little salt and some pepper.  Now it's ready for the chicken broth.



I did add about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese for the flavor,  but if you add too much, the cheese just sticks to the bottom of the pan.  I wait until I serve the soup to add the extra cheese.  The good thing about making a soup with a lot of ingredients is that you can always add more chicken broth if you like your soup not as dense.

This soup should put you in your happy place and warm your soul....

No comments:

Post a Comment