Search This Blog

Friday, February 15, 2013

Shrimp Raviolis with a Lemon, Artichoke, and Tarragon Sauce



Someone asked me for a romantic dinner suggestion for Valentines Day.  Well, I am going to share with you what I decided to make for my special dinner, and I apologize I didn't get it together before the holiday was upon us!

I've been thinking about making either shrimp, lobster, or crab raviolis for a while, and was curious how they would be without a red sauce.  Well, I have to tell you they were delicious!  This dinner will require you to buy wonton dough.   I used the round ones, but if they have the square ones, it is fine.  I began by making the filling.  I used about half a bag of raw shrimp that I thawed and cut up.  

I added that to about a cup of ricotta cheese, a handful of shredded Parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and pepper, parsley, 1 egg, and some Tarragon (of course!). I also added a little lemon zest.  I wanted the filling to be nice and cheesy, so I also mixed in some mozzarella cheese.  Nothing was measured, so you can add as much or as little as you would like.  Add the egg last so you can taste the filling to see what it needs.






Grab a pot to get your sauce going.  Pour in 1/4 cup of olive oil with about a tablespoon of butter.  Cut up about 1/2 cup of sweet onion and about 3 cloves of garlic.  Cook them in the oil until tender.  To this you will add about 1/4 cup of white wine, 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream or half and half, and a whole bunch of Parmesan cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce begins to thicken.  

The last ingredients are some Tarragon, lemon zest, and probably about a cup of chopped artichoke hearts.   I had a jar of marinated hearts in the fridge, so I used a couple of large spoonfuls of them, but as I said, when you are making fillings and sauces, there is no need to measure most ingredients!


Now for the fun part.  Take a wonton skin, place a spoonful of filling on it, paint the edges with an egg white wash, and place another wonton skin on top.   Squeeze the two sides together, then take a fork and press the edges.



While you are stuffing the raviolis, get a large pot of water heating up.  Once the raviolis are ready to go, cook 5 or 6 at a time.  They take about 5 minutes to cook.  Spoon the sauce over them and top with a little more Parmesan cheese.


 This dinner got rave reviews!  Actually rated a "10"..... Hope you like them as well!







No comments:

Post a Comment