Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Grilled Flatbread pizzas and meatballs???


There's nothing like a yummy flat bread pizza on a hot summer night!  I was having some friends over last night after work, and wanted to serve something that was delicious, easy and different.  I thought flat bread pizzas would work well, so I went to work.  I had bought 2 bags of pizza dough and stretched them both out as much as I could.  They come out better if you make them more long than round.  I then cooked them on the grill, just for about 5 minutes on each side.


Once done, I put them aside and get the toppings ready.  The first one is going to have garlic mashed potatoes, sliced steak,  a few onions, and cheese.  I make a batch of mashed potatoes and add garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and a little cream cheese.  Once I get them tasting right, I spread them over the crust, making sure it is not too thick.  Then, if you have leftover steak, slice it up and scatter it on top.  If not, you can by the sliced steak in the freezer, like the one below...

All you do is cook the slices and sprinkle with a little Montreal Steak seasoning.  They only take a minute to cook.  When done, break into pieces and put on top of the potatoes.  Then sprinkle cheese and some onions if you like, and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned a bit.

I decided to make the other pizza vegetarian.  I started with grated mozzarella cheese, then cut cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella balls, cut up.  I sprinkled the top with a bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper  and into the 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is again melted.  


Now this pizza is not quite done yet.  I will now add some arugula and sprinkle with a little balsamic vinagrette.

So you are probably asking yourself why I mentioned meatballs with these pizzas....  well, I decided the pizzas weren't enough and made some really delicious meatballs which took about 20 minutes tops!  I cheat and buy already made Swedish meatballs (that are actually quite good!)  While I am thawing them, I take a pan and dump in one small jar of grape jelly and 1 bottle of Chili Sauce.  Once this is heated and the jelly is melted, I add the meatballs in the sauce and let them cook for about 20 minutes.  That's it!  I don't think I have found one person who doesn't love them!


So, there you have it....pizza and meatballs!  To save time,  you can cook the pizza crust the day before (which is what I did).  You can also do the meatballs the night before and just heat up before serving.   If you are anything like me, you get home from work and have to get all of this done in an hour, which is how long you have before your guests arrive!!!

Happy August!


No comments:

Post a Comment