Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

What do you do when your freezer goes on the blink? Cook a lot of meat!

Went to Good Harbor in Rockport, MA today.  With an unlimited supply of sand and a spoon in my hand, this is what I did!  Call me crazy.....


For a week now, my freezer has been on the fritz!  Come to find out, most of what I had in it had thawed!  So..... you can only imagine how my mind chugged with what to do with all of this thawed meat, etc.!  Stay tuned...

I had melted shrimp, 2 rib eye steaks, 2 pounds of hamburg, and a pound of ground lamb.....  I decided to cook the hamburg first.  Once that was done, I cooked the ground lamb.  At this point, I decide rather quickly to make a bolognese sauce.  Used the ground beef and lamb, added 2 jars of my favorite spaghetti sauce, chop some carrots and shallots, add some salt and pepper, crushed red pepper, parm cheese,  and let the whole thing simmer.


While this is simmering, I then get the steaks ready to grill.... Montreal Steak Seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.   I have a whole container of Cesar salad dressing, of which I painted a small amount on the steak.  I also used this dressing on the thawed shrimp I had.  I painted it on the shrimp, and then sprinkled cilantro all over them and squeezed the juice of an entire lime over them.




These steaks literally took about 15 to 20 minutes to grill -   You never want to overcook them!   So here you have it.....steak, shrimp, and pasta sauce...  whipped up a little pasta with garlic, olive oil, half and half, garlic, and parm cheese.



A lot of work, but not your average dinner either!  I'll make a delicious lasagna tomorrow night with the bolognese sauce.  The shrimp and steak are history, as we speak!   I guess my lesson of the day is to go with the flavors you love and trust.  If you don't have a complete meal, don't worry about it.  As long as what you make tastes delicious, that's all that counts!



No comments:

Post a Comment