Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

How do you cook thin pork chops???


I purchased a package of pork chops the last time I visited BJ's.  I didn't realize at the time, that they were about 1/2 inch thick!  So I knew I had figure out a way to cook them so they wouldn't come out tough or dry.

I began by brining them for about 12 hours, in a solution of apple juice, salt, sugar, and water.  Just google brining to get the exact measurements.  When they were done, I rinsed them off and mixed up the rub:  1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp five-spice powder, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1/4 ground pepper.

I put the rub on the chops and let them sit for about 1 hour.


In the meantime, I sauteed one half of a vidalia onion, thinly-sliced.  Once done, I transferred them into a separate pan.  Next up, brown the chops on both sides, about 4 minutes on each side.  DON'T OVERCOOK! 
 

 Place the browned chops in the pan, covering them with the cooked onions.  






Add 2 apples that you have peeled, cored, and quartered.  In the pan that you browned the chops in, add about 1/3 cup of apple juice and 2 tbs. red wine vinegar and 1 cup of chicken broth.  Loosen the browned bits and simmer for about 5 minutes.  Pour in about 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and 1/2 tsp. of thyme.  Simmer for another 5 minutes.   Pour this mixture over the pork chops.  At this point, I covered the pan with foil and popped it in a 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes, just to finish cooking the chops.



I have to tell you.... these chops came out so tender, juicy and delicious.  My family said this was the best chop dinner they have ever had!   WOW.....  I guess this is a keeper recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment