Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2012

Just when you think there is no other way to cook pork tenderloin...




I have to say pork tenderloin is one of my favorite things to cook, because it cooks very quickly,  it goes with any seasoning you want to use, and everyone always loves it!  I have stuffed and rolled it, sliced it into medallions, and have seared it as a roast.  Every time, it comes out delicious!  

So, tonight I decided to put a little spin on things.  I cut the tenderloins up as medallions and cooked them.  But, instead of serving them like that, I sliced each medallion into strips and folded them into the veggies and this amazing sauce.  Without question, this was yet another winning combination!  I hope I have wet your pallet so you will read on!


I started by preparing the pork tenderloins for slicing.  The only thing you have to do is remove the shiny white tendon-like strip that is on a tenderloin.  It is really small, only about an inch wide and about 2-3 inches long...


Once that is done, you slice them about 1 inch thick.   Use your fingers and press them to about 1/2" thick.  Put them out on some wax paper to rest for a minute.  While they are resting, quickly get the carrots and broccoli ready.

 

I wanted the flour to adhere on to the pork, so I mixed some olive oil and the "Ras el Hanout" seasoning I bought in Cincinnati.  If you check back through my blogs, you should see the pouch with the list of ingredients on the sticker (It's the one with turmeric, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, lavender, paprika, pepper, etc..)  Feel free to just use a combo of ginger, cloves, cinnamon and paprika as a substitute!

  

I dip my fingers into the oil mixture and rub on the pork.  Then dip the pork into a mixture of flour, Salt and Pepper, and mustard powder.


Pour some olive oil in your pan and start browning the medallions...no more than 5 minutes on each side.  Remove from the pan and place on paper towels.  



Now on to the vegetables.  I cut up small carrots into strips and broccoli into bite-size pieces and threw them in. I sprinkled about about tablespoon of soy sauce in, and about 2 tablespoons of minced ginger. I needed some kind of fruit jelly because I wanted the sauce to be sticky and sweet, and this time, I had some red pepper jelly on hand, so I put in about 5 tablespoons (about 1/2 of the jar).  Really delicious flavor...   I added 2 garlic cloves that I had pressed, and then dumped in about 1/3 cup of chicken broth and 2 cups of mango salsa. Normally I would say any salsa would do, but this time, I really want you to use the mango salsa because of its sweetness and flavor.  Mix everything up and let simmer for about 10 minutes .

  




So look at this pan.....The carrots and broccoli are only slightly cooked so that they are still a little bit crunchy.  The flavor of the pork because of the spice I rubbed on them was really yummy and really tender.  I wanted the sauce to be a little thicker, so I added a little bit more of the jelly....good call on my part!  The last thing to add is the cut up pork.  Once that is stirred in, the coating of flour will  help to thicken the sauce as well.  If you like it spicy, now is the time to put in some crushed red pepper.

 

We are so close to being done here!  I threw together some jasmine rice, which only takes about 10 minutes to cook.  Use chicken broth instead of water, and add a couple of tablespoons of butter.  When the rice is just about done, turn off the stove and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Done.

 

Just before I serve the pork, I sprinkle fresh cut scallions and sesame seeds on top.  This dinner had serious flavor, and I chalk a lot of it up to the seasoning on the pork, the red pepper jelly, and the peach mango salsa.  Ginger is fast becoming a favorite flavor of mine and I keep finding more ways to cook with it.  The scallions at the end was a nice fresh light onion flavor.


This really was an easy meal.  The most time-consuming part was preparing the tenderloin to slice, and cooking it.  After that, it was a breeze!   If you are wondering how long this took me to make from start to finish, I'd say a little less than an hour and a half.....and that's because I didn't get distracted!  Sometimes, some one will come in and start talking to me, in which case it could take quite a bit longer!  But, no one was in a hurry, so an 8:00 dinner was perfect.  Friends of ours stopped by and after sampling some, agreed with the rest of my family that it was truly delicious.  Hope you enjoy it as much as they did.



No comments:

Post a Comment