Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kale Soup with Chourico




Isn't it funny how as soon as we have a couple of cool nights, all I want to do is make soup?  I never thought about it all summer long.....up until now.  I've had Kale on the brain lately, not sure exactly why, but I decided tonight was the night for Kale soup.  This has got to be one of the most healthy soups around.  Here are the ingredients:

3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large vidalia onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves chopped
4 bay leaves
1 pound of Kale, coarsely chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 can Cannellini beans
1 large can of diced tomatoes
2-3 boxes of chicken broth (you can always add more if needed)
1 pound diced Chourico, casing removed



I begin by cooking the potatoes and onions with a small amount of olive oil in my soup pot.   Next, add in the garlic and bay leaves.


Now is the time to add the chopped kale.  Cover your pan and let the kale wilt.




Once the kale has wilted, add your tomatoes, chourico and chicken broth to the pot and bring the soup to a full boil.


Lower the heat and simmer until the kale is cooked and the potatoes are tender, probably for about 30 minutes.


The only thing left to add is a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese...... So delicious.  I hope I have made my Portuguese friends proud with this soup!



No comments:

Post a Comment