Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Apple Upside Down Cake.... Who needs the "pine?"



This morning was such a dreary start to the day....gray, misty, cold.  I needed to do something to do that would pick up my spirits and that, of course, is making my way to the kitchen to make something.  Cooking has the same affect on me that gardening does.  I get so wrapped up and focused on what I am doing, that I forget all the bad and get lost in total enjoyment.

I pulled some sorry-looking apples out of my refrigerator and began to think of what I could do with them besides make an apple crisp or apple pie.  I decided I wanted some kind of pretty cake when it dawned on me..... Could I make a pineapple upside down cake and use apples instead of pineapples?  Why not?  I couldn't think of one reason why it wouldn't work, so I got down to business.

I mixed all the dry ingredients in a bowl:

1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt



I heat my oven to 350 degrees.  In a 9-inch square pan, I place 1/4 cup of butter and place the pan in the hot oven.  Once the butter is melted, I add 2/3 cup of brown sugar and spread evenly in the pan.


Peel and core two apples. Slice and place on top of the melted brown sugar..

Sprinkle with cinnamon and a little nutmeg.

All that is left is to make the batter.




 Place all your dry ingredients in the mixer and add 1/3 cup of shortening.  Mix until blended.  Pour in 3/4 cup of milk and 1 egg and mix on high for about 3 minutes.  Pour the batter over the apples.



 Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes


As soon as you take the cake out of the oven, lay your inverted serving plate on top of the pan and flip over.  You want to do this while the brown sugar/butter mixture is hot.  Leave the pan like that for a couple minutes so all of the brown sugar can drip on the cake.


This was so yummy.  I highly recommend serving it warm, so that the brown sugar can seep into the cake.  A little scoop of vanilla icecream wouldn't hurt, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment