Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I have discovered the wonderful world of egg whites!


Over the past several months, I have watched my kids pull the eggs out of the refrigerator.  They begin breaking eggs into a bowl to make breakfast, but I notice they dump the egg yolks into the sink!  I can't help but think that they are throwing away the best part of the egg....the part with the most flavor, not to mention wasting a perfectly good egg yolk!

Recently I tried an egg white sandwich that had veggies and cheese, and I have to tell you it was delicious.  Not only that but it is so much better for you.  I went to the store and found a container of simply egg whites, and I thought, why not?  Let me give it a try - at least I would be preserving my supply of eggs with their yolks!   I have to admit I was a little leary about how they were going to taste...was I going to miss the yolk?




I begin my yummy breakfast by cooking some onions in my fry pan with a little olive oil.  All I had in my fridge for veggies was a jar of roasted red peppers, so I cut some of them up and threw them in..  I also found some fresh mozzarella cheese to throw in.  Pour in the egg whites and cook until they are set.   I am lucky enough to still have some fresh basil growing in a pot outside my back door, so I snipped a bunch of leaves and sprinkled them over the egg whites, along with some shredded cheese and a little salt and pepper.

 The best ingredient of all is the avocado.   As you can see, I added quite a bit~



I use my spatula and fold the omelet in half and leave it on the fire for just a couple of minutes more.  I couldn't believe how big it came out, so after sprinkling  a little more cheese over the top, I cut it in half.  I knew I would find someone here that would eat the other half!



So there you have it!  My new favorite breakfast!  What is so cool is that you can use anything you find in your fridge...what a great way to clean out your vegetable bin!  There are so many other ingredients and herbs  I want to experiment adding in - you'll have to stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment