Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2013

Flavorful Chicken in a Coconut Curry Sauce



Last night was one of those nights when I simply felt like eating something cooked in a sauce and spooned over rice.  I began looking around my kitchen for possible ingredients.  I found a package of frozen chicken thighs,  a vidalia onion and a sweet potato that I thought would all work well together.  And now for the flavors...I have a mixture of coriander, cumin, cloves cinnamon, turmeric and cardamom that I bought from a spice shop in Cincinnati.  It gives a really nice curry flavor to any dish.  I did find a recipe that gives measurements:

1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch of cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper







Once you have this together, set it aside and cut your onion and sweet potato.  Saute in a little olive oil until it just starts to become tender.  
















Sprinkle in at least 1 tbs of the seasoning mixture you just made and add a can of coconut milk.  Also add in a generous tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger and garlic.   Now for the chicken.  I used 6 boneless chicken thighs, but feel free to adjust your quantities if you need to make a larger amount.  I cut them into large, bite-size pieces and add to the pan.  Simmer on low for about 15 minutes.  Taste the sauce to make sure the flavors are present.  I added a bit more of the seasoning mixture because I really wanted them to stand out.

While this is cooking, I made a quick batch of rice.  I always use chicken broth instead of water because I think it gives the rice a nice flavor.  






When the chicken is tender, turn off the heat and add the juice of 1 lime and some roughly-cut fresh basil leaves.  



All that is left is to get out your bowls and serve.  This was exactly what I felt like and the flavors were absolutely amazing.







No comments:

Post a Comment