Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

Dessert Crepes stuffed with Nutella and served with Berries and Caramel Sauce



As you all know, usually I make crepes and use them instead of pasta when I make manicottis or even lasagna.  Last night I decided it was high time I used them for a dessert.  I have to say it was one of the easiest desserts I have ever made and it looked like a slaved over it all day! 

I'll go through the steps to make this all work! Begin by making your crepe batter in your blender.  You can do this an hour before or a day before...whatever fits you schedule!

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tbs melted butter

Add the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds.  That's it.  Put this in the refrigerator for at least an hour. 


While that is chilling, I cut up the strawberries and combine with some raspberries.  You can also get the Nutella out and ready to go.

Cook the crepes ahead of time, because you will be serving them cold.  Get a small non-stick fry pan and spray it with a little vegetable spray.  Pour just enough batter to coat the bottom of the pan and cook just until the top has solidified.   Use a rubber spatula and work the tip of it around the edges of the crepe until you can get underneath it.  Flip and let the other side cook for about a minute.  I like to let it begin to get a little brown.  Transfer it onto a wire rack and finish cooking the batter.



This step I found a bit tricky but I have since learned why I had a little trouble.  The caramel sauce is very easy to make, it is all in the technique.  When you are caramelizing sugar, you have to catch it just when it starts to get that beautiful caramel color.  If you go to much further, it begins to harden, which isn't good!  Here you go...


In a small pan, bring to a boil 1/3 cup of sugar and 3 tbs water.  Let this boil just until you start to see it change color from clear to a light caramel color.  Carefully add 1 1/2 Tbs of butter and whisk until the butter is melted.  Remove from the heat and add 3 Tbs. of milk and 1/2 Tsp vanilla.  Keep whisking until it is blended.  Now, my sauce came out more like a light glaze, which was really good.  If you would prefer a thicker, more traditional caramel sauce, use cream instead of milk.    As I said, this was a bit tricky.  The first time I made it, I caramelized the sugar a bit too much.  I also used way too much milk and it came out too watery, so I dumped it out and started over again.  
And now for the magic.  Take a crepe and spread a thin amount of Nutella all over it.  Fold in half and then half again.



 add some berries and drizzle with the caramel sauce.  Shake on a little confectioners sugar.

How beautiful is this?



No comments:

Post a Comment