Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

What to make for dinner on a windy, rainy, cold night....




Today was a day full of pure intentions, but the reality of it all was getting things done... and I didn't!  But, we must always roll with the punches, and I can tell you that when all is said and done, the dinner was totally yummy!  And, isn't that what it's all about???   So, yes, you have seen similar dinners on my blog, but each one is truly unique in it's own way, so please read on!





I cooked up 2 half packages of pasta that I had left over.  While they were boiling away, I cut up the rest of a package of broccoli, and sauteed it in a pan with a little olive oil, fresh garlic, and a little water. Oh, and of course salt and pepper.  Stir this into your cooked pasta.





After the pasta was cooked and drained. I added probably 1/4 -  1/2  cup of this Ranch dressing.  I didn't want the past to stick together, and I thought the Ranch dressing would give it a little flavor.





Cut up approximately 6-8 Compari tomatoes (or the equivalent of either cherry tomatoes, or whatever you have on hand, as long as they are fresh...)  Add those to the hot, cooked pasta, along with about 1/2 package of fresh spinach.  Add fresh snipped basil (impossible to measure an amount!  In my mind, you can never have too much!), and some fresh chopped parsley.



More salt and pepper and about a cup of Parmesan cheese.  Stir everything together.  Pour in 1/2 cup of some sort of 1/2 and 1/2....fat free, low fat, or just plain old 1/2 and 1/2, whatever you prefer.




Now for the best part......the star of this dish is Langostinos.  If you don't know what they are, I'll enlighten you.... they are like miniature lobster tails.  If you ever see them in a store (like I did at Costco), buy them and freeze them!  They are an amazing substitute for lobster.....If you can't find them, you can use chopped shrimp or the "sea legs" that are used for seafood salad.





You're almost done!  Taste it and see what it needs.  Mine needed salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper, as well as a little more Parmesan cheese.  And, my magical ingredient???

About 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.  For some reason, the mayo seems to bind everything together and make it taste yummy!  Just fold it in and enjoy.



This is another one of those "comfort dinners" that just make you feel so good after each bite!
I want you to know that any vegetable you have left over in the fridge could work in this dish... carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, peppers - the sky's the limit!





No comments:

Post a Comment