Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How does Shrimp and wilted Spinach with Shallot-Tarragon Sauce sound?


So, I got my blood work results back and I was told to remove fat from my diet!  I looked back through all of my blogs, and honestly?  I have not shared that much fat with all of you!!!  I really try to cook healthy and use ingredients that are good for us!  One thing I did notice is that I don't cook a whole lot of seafood, so tonight I decided to make a shrimp dish.  If you love tarragon and ginger as much as I do, then you will love this dinner!

Here are your ingredients to marinade the shrimp:


I took a whole 2 lb bag of shrimp and removed the tails.  I made sure I dried them well before adding them to their marinade, which consisted of:  about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley, 1 Tbs. Olive oil, 1 Tbs lemon juice, 3 teaspoons Tarragon, salt and pepper,  and 1 Tsp minced fresh ginger





Mix the shrimp in this marinade while you get the pasta water ready to boil and start to saute two chopped shallots in a tablespoon of butter.







When the shallots are transparent, add 1/2 of the shrimp and cook just until they begin to turn pink.  Don't cook them too long.  They will finish cooking when you put everything together.  Once the first batch of shrimp is cooked, put them in a bowl and cook the second batch.  Don't forget to cook your pasta so that it will be done when you need it....


Now you are going to create your masterpiece!  Put the cooked shrimp back into your pan and add about 2 more teaspoons of minced ginger, another tbs of lemon juice and some cream.  The recipe called for 1 tbs of whipping cream, but of course I don't keep whipping cream on hand.... so I used my low-fat half and half!  I probably added about 1/4 cup. I also added about a tbs of cornstarch mixed with a little water, so that I could thicken the sauce just a little.  When you pour the cornstarch in, it should start to thicken right away, so pour slowly.  You don't want it to get too thick!   I then throw in the contents of a small box of fresh spinach, and just let it begin to wilt. This probably takes a couple of minutes at the most.  Once it starts, turn off the heat.


You all know what to do now....taste it!  You might want more lemon, or tarragon, or more salt and pepper....  you'll know when it is just right.  Just remember you really want to taste the ginger, tarragon, and lemon.  Put a little cooked pasta in a bowl and spoon the shrimp mixture on top.  Yum!


I hope you enjoy this healthy meal!  To make it even more healthy, you can use margarine instead of butter!







No comments:

Post a Comment