Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

What do you do with 4 boneless chicken breasts and not much else???


As some of you may have read, I was away from Friday afternoon until Sunday late afternoon.  I had an amazing weekend helping my oldest daughter hook up her amazing apartment.  I said my good byes this morning and got on the road.  Unfortunately, with traffic, it took me 4 hours to get home.  So, you can imagine the shape my refrigerator was in..... no one did any shopping, and there were things that needed to be tossed... Needless to say, I had to scrape something together for dinner with minimal ingredients!  Have I peaked your interest yet?  Well, here goes...


First of all, here is my adorable daughter I visited.....
I knew I had 4 boneless chicken breasts in the freezer, so I took them out and defrosted them.  I then went into the refrigerator.    I salvaged a small amount of not-so-fresh spinach, parmesan cheese and this yummy cheddar cheese spread.  I started to think... when I want to have a comfort meal, what do I look for?  A roasted chicken, potatoes,.... basic stuff.  So, I found some potatoes and decided to make a potato stuffing for these chicken breasts.

 

 I cubed the potatoes and cooked them.  When they were done, I drained them and threw in the spinach.  I sauteed some chopped onions and a few crushed garlic cloves.  Added some salt and pepper.  Once done, into the potato mixture they went.  At this point, I sprinkle a generous amount of Thyme and parsley in, along with a couple of handfuls of Parmesan cheese.   The final touch was Craisins.


I taste the stuffing and think it needs a little more thyme and salt.  Once I am satisfied, I add the binding agent, the thing that will hold this chunky stuffing together....approximately 2 tablespoons of mayo, mixed with a couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard.   I mix it all together, taste it, and feel I am good to go.
 

 Take the chicken breasts, and flatten them out as much as possible.   Spoon some stuffing on the chicken and fold both ends around it.  Place them, open ended down, in your baking dish.  I spoon a little bit of my dipping oil that I keep in my fridge (olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt  and crushed pepper) over the tops of the chicken.  Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.




At this point, I have an idea.  I have some cheddar cheese spread that has blue cheese in it, and I decide to put a spoonful on top if each chicken roll.  Under the broiler for  a couple of minutes, and it is done.


Last thing is a vegetable.  So lucky for me, I found half a bunch of asparagus, so I was it and cut off the ends.  Place them on a foil-lined roasting pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with lemon pepper.  Pop in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  Stir up and bake for another 10 minutes.  Once I remove from the oven, I think that they would be tasty with some goat cheese on them.  What doesn't taste good with goat cheese??  If you don't like goat cheese, you can either add a cheese you do like, or none at all!  The lemon pepper and olive oil, mixed with a little salt is delicious!




Dinner was delicious....could have done without the stress of trying to figure out what to do!! This would have been a good night to let someone else do the cooking, but being away for 3 days made me miss cooking!  Oh well, it came out delicious and I have all the dishes done and am ready for bed before 10, so it is a good thing!

Thank you all for checking in to see what I am making every night.  I am so humbled to know that you enjoy what I do!    Have a great night...










No comments:

Post a Comment