Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2012

If you love curry, you will love these mussels!



I have always loved the flavor of curry, but have been a whimp when it comes to using alot of it!  I haven't really made anything other than chicken divan, which only has a hint of curry in it!  I really wanted to try something a little more bold and remembered eating some mussels that were cooked in a coconut milk, curry, and lemon grass broth.  It was absolutely delicious.  When I was at Costco this weekend, I had picked up a big package of mussels, so I decided to go for it and try to replicate those flavors.

I was able to get everything except the lemon grass.  I googled what I could use as a substitute, thinking maybe grated lemon rind would work, and I was right!  So, get ready for a serious flavored dinner!


I start with mincing 3 cloves of garlic and about an inch long piece of fresh ginger.  I cook it in a small amount of olive oil for about 5 minutes.  I then add 2 teaspoons of curry, and 1/2 of a lemon rind, grated.  Keep cooking for another 5 minutes or so.  Then add some salt and pepper, one can of coconut milk, the juice of 1 lime,  and about 1 cup of chicken broth.   


You won't believe how good this smells as it simmers away!  The last ingredient to go in is a handful of Cilantro that I chop up.  At this point, you can pretty much time when to throw in the mussels to cook.  They literally take about 10 minutes simmering in this sauce.  I keep stirring them so the sauce gets mixed in good.  

 

That's it!  How easy is this?  I served them with some crusty roasted garlic bread, which is delicious soaked in the broth.
  

So......from that whole pan of mussels I cooked, this is all that is left!  I'm telling you!  They were amazing.  Once you taste the broth, you can't stop eating them!!!  Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment