Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Here's another favorite soup of mine.... Corn Chowder



  

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite chowders, and it is so easy to make.  It's funny.... the first time I ever had this was when I lived in Northboro.  There was a family-style restaurant called Bob's Big Boy (they had been around forever!). 


 They had a buffet and corn chowder was the soup of the day.  I remember this so vividly!  Anyway, it was so delicious, that a few weeks later, and even today, I tried to duplicate the chowder.  I think I did a pretty good job, so here goes.  You can use as much of the ingredients as you want.  I like a chowder that has alot in it, so I tend to increase the amounts I use.

First I dice  about 8 new potatoes.  You can make as little or as much of this as you like.  I try to make enough so that there are left overs, so my quantities probably will half fill a large soup pot.  I put them in the soup pot with some butter to start cooking.  I cut up a Vidalia onion and put that in as well.  I add salt and pepper and let them cook until they just start to get tender.  Don't cook them too much, because you don't want them falling apart by the time the soup is done.


When they are ready, add 1-2 cans of Creamed Corn and a bag of frozen corn.


I really like using diced ham in this, but if you have bacon and want to use that instead, by all means!  Whichever you choose, throw it in!  


Now, some people like to use chicken broth as a base (in this case, use at least 2 boxes of broth), and add some half and half just before serving.  I usually use only the 1% milk I have in the fridge, and no chicken broth.  So, unlike most chowders that are really fattening, this one is not.  I pour in as much milk as I want, depending on how much soup I am making.  There is no exact measurement.  I will also add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sour cream if I have it, only because it makes it a little bit richer.  

At this point, you can start experimenting with seasonings.  I usually add some paprika, thyme, along with the salt and pepper.  Herbs de Province are also yummy in it.  Take a small amount of soup out and put it in a dish.  Sprinkle some of whatever herb you are interested in and see how it tastes.  If you don't like it, you haven't ruined the whole pot, right?  Just keep experimenting until you find something that you really like.  Who knows, it could even be curry!  why not?

Any way, these chilly nights are begging for hot soup and crusty bread, so I hope you like it as much as I do....






1 comment:

  1. Very similiar to a recipe I have used for years...it calls for margoram for seasoning, I love corn chowder and it's even better reheated!

    ReplyDelete