Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

Scallops, anyone?

 

I had a fun shopping spree in Costco over the weekend, and one of the things I bought was a package of sea scallops.  I picked them up and held them in my hand for a good amount of time, thinking about what I could do with them.  I just couldn't put them down, so I figured I must be meant to cook them somehow!  So, they came home with me and waited in line, behind the beef tenderloin I cooked on Sunday.  Tonight was their turn.

I have made this recipe once before and have never forgotten how delicious it was, so I thought why not?  A tried and true dinner, back by popular demand.  I had a package with about 15 large sea scallops, but you could probably cook more given the amount of sauce that is made.  Here are the ingredients:

4 Tbs butter, divided
4 Tbs olive oil
large sea scallops
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup dry champagne
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp dried thyme

I want to make some ginger Jasmine rice, so I get that going first.  1 cup of Jasmine rice, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, about 2 tbs. of finely chopped ginger, about 3-4 Tbs butter, and salt and pepper to taste.  This cooks a lot quicker than long-grain rice does, so keep an eye on it.  It takes about 10 minutes or so. You might need to add a little extra chicken broth if it seems a bit dry.


While that is simmering, covered,  I boil some water and cook some carrots.


When they are done, I am going to add some seasoning that has parsley and mint, along with a little butter and salt and pepper.  You can add anything or nothing!  It's up to your taste.

 
I added some minty lemon pepper, parsley, and salt
When the rice is done and the carrots are just about ready, I get the pan ready for the scallops.  Maybe a tablespoon of butter and a little drizzle of olive oil, but keep it really small.  If there is too much liquid in the pan, the scallops won't brown.  They should only be in the pan for about 3 minutes on each side, getting a nice golden color.  When they get mixed into the sauce, they will finish cooking.   Get the pan really hot.  Dry the scallops and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Leave them cooking on one side for 3 to 4 minutes.  Don't pick them up to look at them or flip them a hundred times!   Just let them alone and let them cook...

When they are all cooked, put them aside on a covered platter and turn the heat back up.  Add in the shallots, cider, champagne, and maple syrup and simmer until it is reduced to about half.   Then, add 2 Tbs  of butter, thyme, and whipping cream..Boil until it is the consistency you would like.   


Once the sauce is done, you have the scallops take another dip in the sauce.... Pure bliss!  



The only complaint about tonight's dinner was that there wasn't enough for left overs!  I have to tell you, the sauce is  a m a z i n g...  think about some other things it might be good with...shrimp?  pork or lamb???  The sky's the limit when you have a great sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment