Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

This has to be the best Irish Soda Bread I have ever had!



For our dinner tonight, I made another batch of those yummy boneless country style spare ribs that I posted back on July 29th.  I didn't want to bore you with a duplication, so I tried to think of something else I could share with you.

I have this recipe for Irish Soda Bread that a dear friend of my mother's (just for the record, her name was Ruth Hannon) had given to me many moons ago.  I have to tell you though, that it isn't your run-of-the-mill soda bread.  This one is actually moist, fluffy, and it simply melts in your mouth.  I usually add craisins to it, but the sky's the limit here.  You could do the traditional caraway seeds (I have never met anyone who likes them, but you never know!) and raisins, or the last time I made it, I grated some orange rind into the batter, along with the craisins.

This is a traditional soda bread....dry, rustic, really crumbly!
I was trying to find a picture on google of what my bread looks like, but unfortunately I could not.  So, lucky for my down-sized family, I will be making a loaf tonight, just so you can see how beautiful it is!  I always cherish these tried and true recipes that have been passed down from one person to the next.... it just means that you are the luckiest person in the world to be chosen to get them!

So, this will be one of those recipes that has measured ingredients!

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 cup sour cream (pretty much 1 large container)
1 1/2 cups raisins, or craisins, or whatever you like!

This is the greatest utensil for cutting the shortening into the flour


Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  I then add the 1/4 cup of shortening (either butter or Crisco), and cut it into the flour mixture.  When it is blended in, you add the egg and sour cream.  The batter is a little thick and sticky.....divine!  Fold in whatever additions you want.  In my case, I am using craisins and sliced almonds.


I like to use a round spring pan to cook this in, but if you prefer, you can use either a brownie pan, or a bundt pan.... pretty much whatever you choose!  Just remember, if it is more of a shallow pan, the cooking time will be less.

This is the batter after adding the egg and sour cream


Once the batter is in, you need to liberally sprinkle sugar all over the top.  It makes a crust that is to die for!  When you are ready, pop it into a 375 degree oven for about 50-55 minutes.    I always use a pan that is about 2" tall, so this timing works perfectly.  I'd cut the time in half and and check it with a cake tester if you use a more shallow pan.  It really is nice to use the round, deeper pan so that when you serve it, you are cutting wedges.


I really hope you get a chance to try this recipe.  Then you will get a chance to pass Ruth's recipe to someone special....


3 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne it's Ellen Robbins! Just wanted to let you know that I love your blog!! Really fun and I admire your prowess in the kitchen. Wish I had your easy way with whipping up delicious recipes using stuff you have on hand. I think you should try out for Master Chef on Fox with Gordon Ramsey...it could happen, hm?
    I've gotta try your chicken wing recipe...made my mouth water. Wayne & I love to have chickens wings with a big antipasto salad that we split... definitely a favorite. I'll let you know how they turn out!
    again, a great job on your blog, I love your kitchen and as a Irish woman....I love caraway seeds....reminds me of my mom's Irish bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellen, so nice to hear from you! I am so glad you are enjoying my new hobby... I am having an absolute blast with this. I look forward to hearing how the wings came out.

      I am half Irish and half German, so you'd think I would love caraway seeds! I actually like them in Rye bread...I guess that counts! Have a great evening

      Delete
  2. You have piqued my interest. I love Irish Soda bread (with caraway seeds!) and sort of love that drier texture. But your description of a moist bread, with craisins (duh, why didn't I think of that, love em) and a sugar crust...Mmmmm!
    And although I am sad the summer is coming to a close, the cooler weather affords me more opportunity to bake and play in the kitchen again (only A/C in the bedroom) I think this will be in my oven this weekend...so in advance I will thank you for this post on behalf of my husband who will be thrilled with something new for his morning break....I may have to omit the sugar top for him though :-(

    ReplyDelete