Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Yummy Chicken Lettuce Wraps



I felt like making something that wasn't too heavy and was healthy.  A lot of restaurants serve lettuce wraps, and I thought it might be fun to learn how to make them.  So, I skimmed through what seemed like hundreds of recipes on line, trying to get an idea of what to do.  Every recipe called for chicken breast meat, but I like to use chicken thigh meat because it stays moist and is more flavorful.  So definitely write this one down because it is a keeper!

I think I used about 8 skinless/boneless chicken thighs
4 tbs low sodium soy sauce
4 tbs dark brown sugar (I had light brown, so I used that and it was delish!)
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs sesame oil
1/2 Vidalia onion
3-4 carrots cut up
2-3 ribs of celery
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 8 oz. can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
a handful of fresh mushrooms, chopped
chopped up peanuts
Romaine lettuce leaves

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, and vegetable oil. Set aside.


In a large skillet, pour in the sesame oil, then cook the thighs, turning every so often until they are cooked, about 15 minutes or so.  Remove from the pan and cut up.  In the same pan, add a little more sesame oil and the onion, carrots, celery, water chestnuts, and garlic.  Cook until tender.  Add the fresh mushrooms and chopped peanuts.  You can now add your cooked chicken as well. 





Pour the sauce over the entire mixture.  Even though the recipe didn't call for it, I had some Oyster Sauce in the fridge, so I added some of that for a little extra flavor.  Let cook for about 5 minutes.  Take a taste to make sure you don't want to add anything else.  That's it!



Now all you have to do is lay out the lettuce leaves and spoon some of the chicken mixture onto each leaf.





Every bite was so delicious... and serving the mixture on lettuce leaves made it really healthy...not to mention how nice it looks. 

 Problem is I couldn't stop eating them!

No comments:

Post a Comment