Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

Sausage and Wild Rice Soup


I have a recipe for chicken and wild rice soup that I have shared with you a while ago.  It is so delicious....anyone I have made it for raves about how good it is.  Last night I wondered how it would taste if I made it with something other than chicken.  I decided to try it with sweet Italian sausage.  The other substitution I made was carrots instead of mushrooms, mainly because I had no mushrooms!

So here's what you'll need....(feel free to substitute something if you don't have the exact ingredients)
  • A box of your favorite wild rice, all prepared
  • carrots
  • onion
  • garlic 
  • sausage
  • tarragon
  • thyme
  • fresh parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • a can of evaporated milk
  • 1 box of chicken broth





All I did was cook the onion and carrots and put aside.  In the same pan, I removed the skins from the sausage and cooked it.  After draining the fat, I add the veggies back in.






Sprinkle about 2 tsps of tarragon, as well as a half tsp of thyme.  You can add salt and pepper to taste after you have added the liquid.  Chop up some fresh parsley and toss that in as well.  Add the chicken broth and evaporated milk.



Now just let it cook over low heat so that all the flavors can meld together.  I like this soup to be slightly thick, so I add a little mixture of cornstarch and water just before serving.  You need to do this when the soup is very hot, otherwise it will not thicken.

.....and believe it or not, it's done!  So delicious and easy, and just as good as the original recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment