Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Delicious Buttermilk Pancakes


I have been making pancakes from scratch for my kids since they were babies.  Always chocolate chip.....

Recently, I became fascinated with buttermilk as an ingredient.  I've heard about the value of soaking chicken and pork in it, but even though "buttermilk pancakes" have been around forever, I have never made them.  So I decided to take a stab at them this morning.  Even thought the ingredients are very similar to regular pancakes, the "technique" is definitely different and very important.  You start by mixing the dry ingredients:




1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbs and 1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt







In a separate container, mix the milk, eggs, etc.:




1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
3 tbs butter, melted


Here's where the technique comes in.   Do not combine the liquid and dry ingredients until you are ready to cook the pancakes.   Mix gently - don't mix too much...there will be some lumps.





Now, as I said, my kids are huge chocolate chip pancake fans, so I made the first batch that way.  After I sprinkle the chips on, I cover them with batter so the chips won't stick to the pan when you flip the pancakes.  
                                    
There is something about this batter that makes the pancakes come out so light and fluffy.

I had quite a bit of batter, and seeing as I don't like chocolate chip pancakes, I decide to make a few banana pancakes for me.  The trick to these is to slice the bananas thin because they remain very moist when the pancake is cooked, and you want the batter around the banana slices to cook thoroughly.  Just as you did for the chocolate chips, cover the banana slices with more batter before flipping.


I think these have to be my favorite.  When they are done, I sprinkle them with a little cinnamon sugar.  That, along with some maple syrup, and every bite just sends you over the edge!


My oldest daughter came to breakfast and couldn't decide which one she wanted, so she decided to have one of each.....




Needless to say, after this breakfast, none of us were hungry until dinner!  These pancakes are unforgettable!






No comments:

Post a Comment