Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Lamb Shanks with a different sauce...



If you look back, you will see that I have previously posted a recipe for lamb shanks.  That recipe is slightly different from this one, only because I seem to make them up as I go along, and I can never do the same thing twice!  Last night, I decided not to do the typical onions, peppers, garlic, chicken broth route. 

The first step in this amazing meal, is to sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper all over the shanks.  You need to brown all sides of them in a relatively hot pan.  Once you have a good crust on them, place them in a deep roasting pan.

 



Use your browning pan to create the sauce.  Start by sauteing a chopped Vidalia onion.  Add to that about 3 ribs of celery. Once they are tender, pour in your can of tomatoes and a box of beef broth.








As for seasonings, I go with 3-4 chopped garlic cloves, fresh basil, some thyme, rosemary, and ground pepper.  You want the shanks to be as covered by the sauce as possible.  Cover the pan tightly with foil and cook in a 375 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours.  Every so often, remove the foil and turn them.  For the last 20 minutes or so, leave the foil off and turn up the oven to 400.





This picture is what the sauce looks like just before serving.  I wanted to add some fresh spinach and more fresh basil at the very end, so that they wouldn't get over cooked


I decided garlic mashed potatoes would be great to spoon this incredible sauce over, so I "whipped" up a batch (sorry!)  Instead of adding my secret ingredient of regular cream cheese, I had some herb and artichoke cream cheese, and decided to go with that.  It was a good decision!  The final meal was definitely one for the books!


 










No comments:

Post a Comment