Search This Blog

Friday, May 10, 2013

Comments on some comments...






I was trying to figure out the best way to communicate with anyone who is following me in my kitchen and either has problems or questions, so I thought I would comment on a few things in a post.

To my dedicated "anonymous" follower, I wanted to say a couple of things about the shrimp wrapped in bacon.    Two things to remember are to use big enough shrimp so that when you slice them open, you have a good-sized pocket to put the stuffing in, and to use a full strip of bacon to wrap around the shrimp.  Believe it or not, the bacon is what holds the stuffing in!  You also might try using something finer (instead of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing mix) such as Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, fresh parsley, and maybe some fresh basil.  Add enough olive oil or broth or white wine along with some melted butter.....whatever you would like to use to hold it together.  I hope this helps and I will watch for your update!

Another friend of mine asked what she should do if she adds too much of a spice.  If you are making soup, you would simply add more liquid.  Hopefully it isn't so much that you have to dump it out and start over again!  If you are making a pasta sauce, you could probably add more plain tomato sauce to tone it down.  I guess my best advice would be to try adding any neutral ingredient and keep tasting.

I actually had to revert to extreme measures once.  I had made a corn chowder and went to add the half and half.  Immediately the whole pot of soup curdled!  I grabbed a strainer, and dumped out the liquid, reserving all of the potatoes, carrots, ham, corn, etc.....  I rinsed them off and returned them to the pot.  I then added the chicken broth, again, and some extra seasonings to bring back some of the flavors!  I hated to throw the whole thing away.  It actually came out delicious.

I hope this is helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment