Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Delicious eggplant lasagna...

I don't know about you, but I love pasta dishes....any kind!  I especially love lasagna and have figured out a way to make it a little healthier.  I have learned to replace the pasta with vegetables.  So far I have used zucchini and eggplant.  Last night I used eggplant and want to share it with you.  This meal takes a little time and effort, but the final product is amazing.


Start by peeling and slicing a large eggplant.






I like to make a batter to coat the slices as opposed to using breadcrumbs.  Breadcrumbs tend to absorb a lot of oil when you cook them, and I like the flavor of the batter.

All you do is mix the following:

about 3 cups of flour
a tsp garlic powder
a tsp of onion powder
salt and pepper
about 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese

and enough water to get the consistency of pancake batter.  Feel free to add any other seasonings you like.





I dust the slices with flower before dredging them in the batter.  Heat a pan with a small amount of olive oil and cook the eggplant until it gets nice and golden.


Place the cooked slices on paper towels to get rid of any excess oil.


Time to mix the ricotta filling.  For the amount of eggplant I had, I used 1/2 of a large tub of cheese and sprinkled in pretty much the same seasonings I used for the batter:  garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and some parsley.









The only thing left is to put it all together.  As for tomato sauce?  I am hooked on the sauce I shared with you in my manicotti dinner blog, but feel free to use whatever is your favorite one.  Cover the bottom of your dish with sauce, place a layer of eggplant, add the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with shredded cheese, add sauce and repeat.  Reserve some sauce to add on when you serve it.

I made only two layers, but you can go as high as you would like.  Just remember the thicker the lasagna, the longer it will take to cook and the top tends to get a little dry.


I place this in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes. 


This is so yummy...it just melts in your mouth. 

I have to tell you though, the browned eggplant makes a great appetizer.  Let the eggplant cool and cut each slice in half.  Place them on a platter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Serve with a bowl of marinara sauce for dipping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment