Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2013

Pasta Salad with Shrimp




This pasta salad, by far, will become one of your favorites.  Not only does it taste delicious, but it only has a few easy ingredients.  I used one pound of pasta and doubled the dressing for the crowd I was making it for, but please feel free to adjust the amounts  for quantity and taste.

Here is what you will need:

3 cups (8 ozs) pasta
1 tsp salt
Fresh snap peas
1 pkg frozen cooked medium shrimp (add more if compelled...my favorite part!)
1 basket cherry tomatoes
5 scallions, cut
shredded Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Pesto
1/4 cup light mayonnaise


The pasta I chose was Pipette because it doesn't fall apart when you cook it like shells do.  I also cooked it al dente.


Defrost the shrimp, making sure to dry it as much as possible.  When your pasta is done, pour into a colander and run cold water over it to stop the cooking process.  Add your shrimp.














Cut the tips off of your snap peas and cut into bite-size pieces.










As for the tomatoes, I cut them in half lengthwise, and laid them out on paper towels.  I wanted to get as much of the juice and seeds out  as I could, so they wouldn't make the salad watery.  I also add these last, just before I serve the salad so they won't get mushy.


When it comes to cutting the scallions, I find the easiest way to do it is with scissors.  That way the scallions don't get crushed as they do when you use a knife.  
Combine everything (except for your tomatoes) into one bowl and prepare your dressing.


I add half the dressing now, and refrigerate the salad for a while.  This lets the pasta absorb some of the dressing.  Just before I serve the salad, I add the other half, along with the tomatoes and a generous amount of shredded Parmesan cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste and you are good to go.


There you have it.  Please make sure to taste this!  I ended up adding more scallions because I wanted a little more "oniony" flavor.  Feel free to add anything else you would like, such as olives or artichoke hearts, or celery...... the ideas are endless!




No comments:

Post a Comment