Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Grilled Ribeye Steak with Pan-Roasted Potatoes


The weather here in Boston has been beautiful the last two days, warming up to a balmy 68 degrees!  All I want to do is be outside after spending the day in the office.  At 6:30 p.m. the sun is still out, and I can't think of anything else to do than grill some steak!  I thought that our French guest, Pauline, would like to taste some of my grilling...



The nice thing about rib eye steaks is that they are so flavorful on their own, they hardly need any seasoning, let alone marinating.  I have discovered the best way to tenderize them is to leave them out on the counter and sprinkle generously with kosher salt.  The salt will draw out some of the juice, but it also breaks down the fibers in the meat.  I let each side sit with salt for about an hour.  You want to cook the steak at room temperature.








Get the grill nice and hot.  Wash off the salt, and pat dry.  I sprinkled on a little ground pepper, garlic powder and onion powder on both sides.  Grilling each side for about 10-12 minutes will enable you to serve it medium rare.  If you like it more well-done, just leave it on maybe 5 more minutes.  You can tell how well done they are by pressing down on them gently.  If the steak feels very soft, then it is on the rare side, and if it is firm, then it is more well done.












For my pan-roasted potatoes, I wash and cut up as many potatoes as you need.  I add basil, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and mustard powder.  I cut up 2 shallots and tossed them in as well.  Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and mix, making sure the potatoes are coated.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.  Every so often, you need to give them a stir so that they will cook evenly.



To round off the dinner, I made a really easy Caesar Salad by simply cutting up some romaine lettuce, sprinkling in a generous amount of shredded Parmesan cheese, and folding in some Caesar dressing.  Just before serving, I add a couple of handfuls of croutons.  The rest is history!






No comments:

Post a Comment