Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Stuffed peppers made with leftovers


For some reason, all day yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about stuffed peppers and how much I love them.   I knew I had about 3-4 red peppers in my fridge that were starting to look a little spent, so I really wanted to use them.  I also had some leftover couscous from the other night that I thought would work well in a stuffing...you know, to use instead of breadcrumbs.  So, when I got home from work, I just started pulling all of the things out of the refrigerator that I wanted to use up.





It's always a good idea to pre-cook the peppers a bit, because once you stuff them and put them in the oven, they always take longer to cook than the stuffing.

Of course, I started by cooking up some onions.  when they were done, I added a can of diced tomatoes, followed by the left over couscous and a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach.




I threw in about 3 cloves of garlic that I minced, and two handfuls of diced fresh mozzarella.  I usually add sweet Italian sausage, but decided to cook a package of ground lamb instead for something a little different.








Let's see....what else?  Oh, some Parmesan cheese (the ingredient that never needs measuring) and salt and pepper.  I did add a small amount of croutons because I thought the flavoring they had would give the stuffing just what it needed.


You know the rest of the story....Take your pre-cooked peppers, stuff them, and cook them in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes


Yum....'nuff said!




No comments:

Post a Comment