Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2012

A good chicken dinner on a cold fall night


I was talking to my daughter the other day about all of the different ethnic restaurants that are around her at Boston College.  One restaurant in particular was a Tunisian restaurant.  I remember eating at one when I was in France way back when.  I never forgot how delicious the flavors were.  Basically what I had was a stew of vegetables and meat, ladled over couscous.  I decided to try to duplicate that last night, and I have to say, it came out delicious.

I started baking 2 large sweet potatoes in my convection oven.  They only took about 30 minutes.  When they came out of the oven, I cut them in 1 inch slices and removed the skin.  They will finish cooking when you add them to the dish.  Combine 1 tablespoon each of Paprika, Cumin, and Coriander, and 1 teaspoon of Turmeric.  Part of this should be added to the vegetables, and the remainder will be used to cook the chicken thighs.  Meanwhile, I cut up half of a Vidalia onion and sliced about 4 carrots.  I cooked them in a fry pan with a little olive oil until they were about half way done.  I then added 3 minced garlic cloves, and some of the seasoning.


I quartered the artichoke hearts and mixed them in.  I put all of this in a bowl and moved on to cooking the chicken.

 

I wanted to cook the boneless chicken thighs in the same pan the veggies were in so that it would pick up on the flavors.  I sprinkled some of the seasoning mix to each batch of chicken as it cooked.

Add the cooked chicken to the vegetables.  When I was done, I put everything back into the fry pan and tasted it.  It definitely needed salt and pepper, but otherwise the flavors were delicious.  I now pour three cups of chicken broth and gently stir.   Let this simmer for about 5-10 minutes, just long enough to mix and heat through.  The last thing I add is some parsley and about a cup of pine nuts.  I wanted to add peanuts, but my daughter didn't like them!


 The last thing to do was to make the couscous.  This literally takes 5 minutes...just follow the instructions.  I used chicken broth instead of water.

 

Put a couple of spoonfuls of couscous in a bowl and ladle some of this mixture right over it. 

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment