Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Haddock and Veggies en Casserole


Usually I prepare fish by broiling it with some sort of sauce on top.  I wanted to try something different for a change, so I decided to make a casserole using a piece of haddock I had, along with some fresh veggies and pasta.  At this point I have no idea if this will work or not!

The veggies I used were cherry tomatoes,  zucchini, fresh spinach, and Vidalia onion.  While my pasta was cooking, I cut up the zucchini, tomatoes and onion.  Saute the onion in a little butter.  When the pasta is done, drain and save the water.  Throw the zucchini in the hot water for about 5 minutes.  I just wanted it to just begin to cook.





Saute half a Vidalia onion with 2 chopped garlic cloves.  When they are tender, add 2 tbs of flour.  Once blended in, begin to add milk, 1 cup at a time, until you get a good consistency ( I probably used about 1 1/2 cups).  Add about a cup of Parmesan cheese, as well as some shredded cheese you have on hand, and some salt and pepper.  Feel free to use whatever you have.


Pour into a casserole dish.  Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  In a separate bowl, combine 1 sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers, a little garlic powder, and 1/2 of a stick of butter that has been melted.  Remove the foil and scatter the cracker crumb mixture over the top and back into the oven for another 10 minutes, just until the cracker crumbs begin to brown.


I have to say, this came out great.  The fish was cooked perfectly and I loved how light it was.  You can control how healthy this is by using 1% milk instead of cream.  Please experiment and use whatever veggies you have on hand.  This dinner is all about technique....making a casserole!










No comments:

Post a Comment