Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Bars



This is the first Thanksgiving that I didn't actually make "pies" for dessert.  I decided I wanted to go finger desserts and thought, why can't I make mini pumpkin pies?  Low and behold, I found a way and it was so easy!  I have to tell you...people have been raving about these to this day, four days after their debut.   Here's what's in them (the recipe is made in three phases, so read carefully):

1 box Yellow cake mix, divided
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp cinnamon, divided
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
⅔ cups evaporated milk
2 whole eggs
¼ cup cold butter, diced

Begin by heating your oven to 350 degree oven and get out a 13x9 baking pan that has been sprayed with vegetable oil.  

For the crust, pour all but 1 cup of the cake mix into a bowl.  Stir in 1 egg and ½ cup of melted butter until well blended

Press the dough onto the bottom of your prepared pan and set aside.



Using your mixer, combine ¾ cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, the ginger, cloves, salt, pumpkin, evaporated milk and 2 eggs together.   Blend until smooth and pour over the crust.



Now for the topping...  Stir together the cup of reserved cake mix and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon.  Cut in the ¼ cup of diced butter.  Sprinkle evenly over the filling and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is set.


I had no idea what these were going to taste like when I made them.   I just wanted to do finger dessert renditions of traditional Thanksgiving desserts.  How fortunate I was to find a recipe that made something so delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment