Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Crispy Eggplant Dippers



This is an appetizer that I created , and every time I make this, it gets rave reviews.  So of course I wanted to share it with you.  I don't quite know what to call it, but for now, crispy eggplant will suffice.

So this is very easy to make, it's just a little time consuming.  Here is a list of what you will need:

Eggplant
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Parmesan Cheese
water
Canola oil
your favorite marinara sauce

The measurements are purely for those of you who need to measure things....I used approximately 3 cups of flour, about 1 ½ cups of Parmesan cheese, maybe a teaspoon each of onion and garlic powders, and salt and pepper to taste.   I think about 3 cups of water did it as far as the consistency is concerned.  Definitely taste the batter in case you need to make any adjustments.


I like to make my batter first, because once you peel and slice the eggplant, it starts to turn a little bit brown (which isn't a problem, I just like to cook it as soon as possible).   You want the batter to be the consistency of pancake batter, thick enough to cling to the eggplant.







I was making enough for 6 people, so I used two eggplant.  Peel them first, slice each one lengthwise and cut into ¼" slices.









Use a non-stick pan if you have one, and pour in about ¼" of oil.   Heat the oil over medium high heat.  Dip each slice of eggplant into the batter and cook each side until it is golden brown.  Place the cooked pieces on a rack to cool.



 That is all there is to it... Once you are finished cooking, arrange the slices on a platter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Pour your marinara sauce into a separate bowl for dipping, and voila!






No comments:

Post a Comment