Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Really delicious risotto.....again!



Anyone who follows me knows a few key things that I love, one being a one pan meal.  I love to build a dinner that has all the food groups represented... and tonight is no exception!  Ham, asparagus, risotto, artichokes and a little Parmesan to round it off....  I'm telling you, though, tonight, I got the flavors spot on!  I hope I can replicate the creation... it was a lot of "a little of this and a pinch of that."  Here goes:

1 cup of risotto
4 cups of chicken broth
1 tbs dried onion
Sliced ham
olive oil
artichoke hearts
½ of a large shallot chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
spinach
roasted asparagus
Parmesan cheese
Fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste

This time I don't have any step by step photos, but follow along with the narrative and it will come out great!  Begin by melting a tablespoon of butter, a sprinkling of dried onion,  and a splash of olive oil in a pan.  Add 1 cup of risotto and cook for about 10 minutes.  Just when it starts to lightly brown, begin adding your chicken broth, one cup at a time.  Simmer and stir until the broth has been absorbed, then add another cup.  Keep going until 4 cups of broth have been absorbed.  I had about 2 handfuls of fresh spinach left over, so I chopped it up and folded it into the hot risotto.  Turn off the heat and set aside.  

Time to get the rest of your ingredients ready.  The asparagus needs to be roasted with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, turning them about half way through.

When done, cut into 1 inch pieces and add to the risotto.  Cut up about 6-8 slices of ham and add in.
I also added approximately 1 cup of artichoke hearts, cut up, but honestly?  Who ever measures artichoke hearts?  The more the merrier!  I also added about a tablespoon of fresh thyme.  I thought it needed something else, so I cut up 4 cloves of garlic and half of a large shallot and sauteed them in a little butter.  You can add in your salt and pepper to the onions.  Once they are translucent, I add them in.  

Last but not least, a healthy sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and my life is complete.   A masterpiece!  This one was a true keeper!  The flavor of the roasted asparagus, combined with the ham, thyme and shallot/garlic mixture was amazing...




No comments:

Post a Comment