Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Braised Chicken Legs with Capers and Parsley



I think braising is fast becoming a new favorite of mine.  Everything braised comes out moist, tender and full of flavor, and....an added bonus?  If you have enough braising liquid, it makes a really great base for soup.  It has the perfect thickness and all the flavors you need, just add veggies and whatever meat you feel like adding.  So my ingredients?  

Chicken legs
1 sweet onion
fresh thyme, parsley and sage
seasoning (onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika)
2 tbs capers
Corn Starch for thickening
1 box of chicken broth
½ cup of white wine


Well, back to braising...  I decided to braise chicken legs.  I dried them off and seasoned them with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder.   I melted a small amount of oil and butter in my pan and browned the chicken on all sides.

Once they were brown, I removed them from the pan and added in my onions, some fresh parsley, and an herb bundle of sage and thyme.


After about 5 minutes of sizzling, I pour in a box of chicken stock and the white wine.  I picked capers to add next because I wanted something a little "lemony."  Add the chicken legs back in and bring to a boil.



At this point, turn the heat down to a low simmer and cover.  I let them simmer for at least on hour, turning the chicken ever once in a while.  Test the chicken with a fork to make sure it is nice and tender.  While this is cooking, I turn to making some Jasmine rice.  This rice is so delicious...it has this slightly sweet aromatic flavor that compliments anything it goes with.



After about an hour and fifteen minutes, my chicken is just about to fall off the bone.  I take just a little cornstarch and water (maybe about a tablespoon of each) and once mixed, I pour it in to thicken the sauce just a little.  All that is left to do is eat!  




No comments:

Post a Comment