Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Potato encrusted haddock - the sauce makes this amazing!



 

I wanted to try a new coating for fish, something other than breadcrumbs.  I have tried crushed up potato chips, but I find them too salty.  I found a recipe on line where they coated the chicken in shredded potato, and I thought why not coat the fish with it? 
 
Make the sauce first so that it is ready when the fish is finished cooking.   The ingredients are:
 
1 Tbs. butter
2 shallots, diced
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 pinch of Thyme
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs flour
1 cup half and half (or whatever you have on hand)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tomatoes diced (or a small can of diced tomatoes)
 
Begin by cooking the shallots, tomatoes, garlic and thyme in the butter until they are tender.  Add the mustard and flour and whisk until smooth.  Whisk in the half and half, and season with the salt and pepper.
 
Now to the haddock.  Spread some Dijon mustard on top.  Shred 2-3 potatoes and season them with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Cover the tops of the fish and place them under the broiler just until the potato gets nice and brown.  Originally I wanted to brown the potato-coated fish by quickly frying it, but I will need to re-think how to get the potato to actually stay attached to the fish as it cooks!   When I tried to do this, all of the potato stuck to the pan!
 
My camera is acting up a bit...these look too yellow!
 

I tried to have a healthy dinner and roasted some brussel sprouts to go along with the haddock.  When they were tender and slightly browned, I tossed them with some shredded Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, some fresh parsley and some lemon zest.

There you have it!  This dinner was surprisingly easy and I had all the ingredients on hand, so I didn't need to make any special trips to the grocery store, which is always a plus...





No comments:

Post a Comment